Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Why good men and women inadvertently hurt each other

My first attempt at liveblogging:

Today on Dennis Prager's "Male/Female Hour", he is having a terrific conversation with Alison Armstrong, who normally concentrates on helping typical good women understand typical good men. She is very easy to listen to.

Today, she also explains to men things like the centrality of feelings to women, the "misdemeanor file" and the "rage monster".

When hurt, women often say they are "hurt" or that their feelings are hurt, while men are "crushed". Alison explains why.

Dennis: Men say "What did I do?"
Alison: And women say, "As if you didn't know". Because if he were a woman, he WOULD know.

Alison discusses the differences between men and women in terms of the "human animal" and the "spiritual animal". For example "women are not built to focus" (they CAN focus, but most of the time they don't walk around in a "focused" state). They typically have "diffuse awareness" unless they are in a situation where they need to focus. Women are aware of many things which are going on at the same time (which comes in especially handy when caring for small children). Men often don't understand this. They expect women to habitually focus like they do.

Dennis on all the things women think about at one time: "That's my theory, that if we got your brain for a day, we'd all kill ourselves". UPDATE: Listen here, starting at about 3:55. for a little back and forth on this topic.

Aside: I believe that I often think more like a man than does the typical woman - in some ways. But much of what Dennis and Alison are saying seems so obvious once it's pointed out. And I know that my awareness is "diffuse" much of the time. So I guess I still have a "girl brain".

Dennis: Some of the differences between men and women which are so pronounced today may be culturally enhanced. Whereas males are raised to control themselves and to fight their natures, females are often not expected to fight their natures at this time in American history. Alison agrees: "Women need to learn to control their inner cavewoman, just as men must control the inner caveman".

The only call taken this hour was listener "Bobby": "My God, Thank you that I am gay."

Dennis: I don't feel depressed when I talk about these differences with Alison. There are solutions to the problems caused by differences between men and women.

You can see a list of major topics and guests for Dennis' upcoming radio broadcast near the top of the page here, or listen to Dennis online here. You can order podcasts of specific shows (without commercials) here. Free audio highllights are here.

Other regular features each week (besides the Male/Female Hour) are the "Happiness Hour" and the "Ultimate Issues Hour". If you don't like the topic he's talking about during other hours he broadcasts, wait half an hour and tune in again. He discusses a wide range of issues with a wide variety of people.

I generally prefer to listen to Dennis talk with someone else on the radio rather than to read what he has written. I have the opposite reaction with some other people. I don't get too excited about him on TV, either, usually. Though if he and a conversation partner were allowed to talk freely without interference from a moderator, I think I would feel differently.

No comments: